Good Fats vs. Bad Fats

Buds of Grape's flower

We grow our own grapes and make grape juice. We pick after first frost; they are naturally sweet - no added sugar.

Did you know that 2% of Population grows food for the other 98% of the population!*

 Isn’t it sad that 29,000 children died between May and July 2011 because of malnutrition and starvation in Africa? *

We are so blessed as citizens of the United States!  We have such a large variety of food to choose from.  We ought to be grateful for our blessings!

Hydrogenated oils are a type of Bad Fat!  It is an ingredient in a lot of our pre-packaged or already made foods.  It is also an ingredient in foods served in fast food chains.  Even the salads taste fake!

Good Fats include:

  • Olive Oil – a healthy kitchen staple – disadvantage is that it becomes rancid when heated at a high temperature
  • **Coconut – rich in polyphenols, coconut oil’s antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties help promote brain and heart health, reduce cholesterol, and manage metabolism.  Try unrefined virgin coconut oil for a sweeter, buttery taste.  Great to put on homemade popcorn and yummy in smoothies.
  • **Grapeseed – extracted from potent, antioxidant-rich grape seeds, which are often discarded in the winemaking process.  Grapeseed oil has a distinct, almost fruity taste that works well combined with peppers and fresh herbs like cilantro, rosemary, and garlic.  It is appropriate for making veggie stir-fries and other high-temperature dishes.
  • **Hemp – has a balanced blend of omega-3 and omega-6 fats; benefits everything from your heart and brain to hair and skin.  It has a slightly nutty flavor to complement fresh herb and vegetable salads.  As a vinaigrette, whisk
    together hemp oil, vinegar, lemon zest, and mustard for a vibrant taste.  You can also stir into cooked grains.
  • **Sunflower – a neutral flavor ultrarich in vitamin E  and low in saturated fat.  It can help reduce cholesterol and support heart health.  You can use it for grilling or frying, too.  

If you are still confused or would like more information about eating healthy, you can enter your information on the Contact Us page or you may call Healthy Life Institute at 801-358-4777 for class information or for ordering our Wellness Coaching Guide.  

Sources:  

*Peggy Layton, author of several Food Reserve Books, http://www.peggylayton.com

**Neda Habibi, deliciousliving, p 17, August 2011

Related articles

Advertisements